This is the 3rd sweater I have made since last fall. I think it is the best! I wore it out this morning and got lots of compliments, plus it is warm, This sweater worked up really quickly. It is from a free pattern on the Lion Brand website. It is called Whiter Shade of Pale Car Coat. The pattern is here. The pattern called for a Lion Brand yarn Wool-Ease Thick & Quick. BUT I wanted to use some chunky yarn I had picked up at Michael’s. It is Caron Tea Cakes. The color is Oolong. I just found out this yarn is discontinued 😦 . That is pretty disappointing as it was new last fall. The yarn marble color is super nice and that can be hard to find. My sweater ended up a little shorter than the pattern. Yarn tends to stretch so I expect it will get longer as I wear it. The sleeves intentionally work up long. I personally like that and I don’t mind rolling the sleeves a little. The pattern was easy to follow. I did the ribbing a little longer than the pattern. I didn’t want it stretched out too much so I matched the rows of the ribbing to the sweater base as I sewed it on. This is not a complicated sweater so I encourage beginners to jump in and try it!
I made this frog for my nieces birthday. It is to hold her pajamas (even though she turned 24.) 🙂 The mouth opens up for the pajamas. It is very soft – made out of Bernat Blanket yarn. I was surprised that this pattern was A LOT of work. It involved sewing a lot of pieces together (I won’t be making another). When I looked at the picture, I didn’t think there was as much sewing as there was. For example: you made two feet and sewed them together before attaching to the leg. The pattern is a paid pattern from Snappy Tots. You can find it here. I do think there is an error in the requirements for the supplies. She lists 500 yards for the Bernat Blanket yarn. That is 2.5 skeins of the 10.5 oz skeins. That is WAY too much. I didn’t even come close to using that much. I used more like 300 yards of the main color (a little over one big skein). I won’t be making another one of these guys.
There have been a lot of cute sweaters being posted that looked fairly easy to make. I tend to have a hard time meeting gauge for intricate/complicated sweaters so I wanted to try some patterns that seem more forgiving with meeting gauge.
I saw this sweater on Michaels website using Caron Cakes Yarn. I decided to make it and I enjoyed how the yarn worked up. It has some wool in it that concerned me but I went with it. I do wish I would have used a different yarn because I find the little bit of wool in it scratchy.
It took me awhile to finish the sweater as the pattern wasn’t well written. I would put it down and walk away from it once in awhile. I also would ask my mom for her input on the sweater. There also wasn’t a lot of pictures of people who had made this pattern.
I found the arms ended up being long but I don’t mind rolling them up a little. The back of the neck, between the two shoulders, ended up being pretty wide for me. The sweater doesn’t sit well on my shoulders. The sweater doesn’t rest well on my shoulders like it does in the pattern picture. The sweater will work for me though. I have decided if I use a shawl pin to hold the two sides together in the front, the sweater works. You can find the pattern here. This isn’t stopping me though. I have some more sweaters that I want to attempt soon.
I saw a heart pillow made out of Bernat Blanket Yarn. I love finding things to make out of this yarn. The pattern cost $5. That is a pretty steep price for one pattern. I found a free pattern to try instead. The heart does look different than the paid pattern but I still like how they turned out. The free pattern is here. They took about an hour each to make.
I finished a pillow the other night. It worked up quick. It is out of the book Crochet Home and is written in UK terms. I used worsted weight yarn I had on hand (I am trying to not buy yarn). It turned out about 14″. Instead of buying a pillow form that can be around $14 at the store, I had bought some throw pillows on clearance at Target. It cost $4. The pillow insert is yellow with white dots. I think it just adds some dimension. I also like doing a simply granny square for the back. The pattern used a button flap closure. I decided to join both sides with a simply sc. I didn’t think it needed anything fancier.
I have had a monthly subscription for Lil Box of Crochet from the UK for a few months now but I haven’t had a chance to try one of the patterns. I made this gnome from the December box. He turned out pretty cute. The pattern was well written but I ran out of some of the colors provided. They included the crochet hook but I still ran out. I don’t think you can tell what adjustments I made though. They included supplies and the pattern for the mushrooms but I didn’t feel like making them. This box also came with a stitch marker, mushroom pin and hand creme. I have a few more months of this box to crochet up. 🙂
I couldn’t get a good picture of this baby poncho. I didn’t have a model and the octopus was the best I could do 🙂 I made it out of Bernat Baby Blanket Tiny. I love Bernat Blanket yarn and was so excited to use the Tiny version when it came out. Unfortunately I don’t like it. I find it very hard to see the stitches and work with. I returned everything I bought but 2 skeins since I had tried to use them. I used one of them to make this baby poncho. It is very soft with a nice texture. The texture comes from a sc, dc stitch. This poncho took a long time to complete. Since the yarn is thin it takes awhile to get the height needed to form the poncho. It is a free pattern on the Yarnspirations website. The pattern is here.